The general objectives stated in the legal basis of the Youth in Action Programme are to:
- promote young people’s active citizenship in general and their European citizenship in particular
- develop solidarity and promote tolerance among young people, in particular in order to foster social cohesion in the European Union
- foster mutual understanding between young people in different countries
- contribute to developing the quality of support systems for youth activities and the capabilities of civil society organisations in the youth field
- promote European cooperation in the youth field.